Receiving your first internship offer is both exciting and nerve-wracking. The internal questions start emerging, “What will I have to do? What if I don’t fit in?” Internships are a learning experience, and the amount of knowledge you will gain from beginning your professional career at an agency is invaluable.
Here are 6 reasons a boutique PR agency is the best place to land your first internship.
1. You hit the ground running. Agency life is fast-paced. Getting thrown into projects with a short timeframe might be scary at first, but you learn necessary time-management skills and adapt to a rapidly moving environment. It’s always a bonus when you do good work and feel accomplished at the end of a long shift.
2. There is always help available. One of the most beneficial aspects of an internship is asking questions. If you are unsure of something, all you need to do is ask. Everyone helps each other at HPR, which some might find unusual, given the stereotypes around the PR industry. But here, there is never a day where you will go unwelcomed or feel undervalued.
3. The skills you learn early on will last a lifetime. Social, time-management, multitasking, writing, and organizational skills are all valuable assets that you will become equipped with while working at a firm. Having to constantly interact with clients and colleagues, juggle multiple projects at once, and proofread everything (literally, everything) teaches you essential skills that you will carry into your future internships and jobs.
4. You get to work in a variety of industries. Every single day is different in an agency. Fresh faces are walking through the door almost regularly for client meetings. There are so many opportunities to network and learn about a variety of brands. From restaurants, to healthcare, all the way to financing – the sky is the limit.
5. Just because you’re busy, doesn’t mean you can’t have fun. Here at HPR, we take team bonding very seriously. From occasional happy hours, team lunches, and the office dog(s), we are always keeping things interesting. Plus, don’t forget the annual, award-winning holiday card that sets us apart from the pack.
6. You will grow as an individual. If you are still working on becoming more independent, you will be after working for an agency. The constant balance between individual and team projects, and being relied upon to get things done for a client will make you tough and dependable.
As my internship here at Hollywood Public Relations is rapidly coming to an end, I am so thankful for the opportunities and people I have met. If I can leave you with a piece of advice, it is to always expect the unexpected, and make the most out of every opportunity given to you.
- Jaimee Geoffrey-White
A behind-the-scenes look at life in PR from the team at Hollywood
Hollywood Public Relations | 36 Cordage Park Circle, #302, Plymouth, MA 02360 | email@example.com | 774.773.9571
© COPYRIGHT 2016. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.